September 23, 2010
Ryan Hanley, Marquette University
"On the Morality of Commercial Society: Smith's Response to Rousseau"
October 21, 2010
Eva Brann, St. John's College, Annapolis
"On Homer's Odyssey"
December 2, 2010
Robert Alter, Univerity of California, Berkely
"The Opacity of David and the Transperancy of Saul: Reflections on I Samuel"
February 24, 2011
Jeremy Bailey, University of Houston
"Is Executive Power a Threat to Liberty?: Hamilton vs. Jefferson"
April 6-8, 2011
Fourth Annual Conference on Great Books and Ideas
Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America
click here for a video synopsis
Peter Lawler, Berry College
"Tocqueville's Relevance Today: Individualism and Soft Despotism"
- Rachael Bishop
- Randyl Cochran
- Bryan Gordy
- John Pascarella
- Chad Slige
- Daniel Cullen, Rhodes College
- Steven Forde, University of North Texas
- Elizabeth Kaufer-Busch, Christopher
- Newport University
- Joseph Knippenberg, Oglethorpe University
- David Ramsey, University of West Florida
- Aristide Tessitore, Furman University
Harvey C. Mansfield, Harvard University
"Tocqueville on What Religion Contributes to Liberty"